The 5AM post

by Mark on April 6, 2010

Good morning everyone. Most of you will still be asleep at the moment I’m writing this. So why on earth am I awake then? Well, to be honest, my girlfriend had to catch a train at 5:45 so I can’t pretend I didn’t do this entirely on purpose. But I just felt compelled to share something with you that I’m experiencing at the moment.

I had gotten up, showered and eaten breakfast by the time it was 5:30, in order to get my girlfriend on her way on time. And then I started realizing that I was completely wide awake and feeling energetic over 1.5 hour before I normally set my own alarm.
This is great! While the world is still sleeping I’m already up and about, able to do things! Steve Pavlina has written some great stuff about how to become an early riser, but this must be what he was actually talking about. Not so much waking up and getting yourself in motion but the actual feeling of wanting to take on the world even before you’d have normally set your alarm.

What to do with this extra time?
Off course I can’t do everything before 7AM like vacuum-cleaning, play loud music (neighbors) or go shopping for that matter. Yet, I can still get started on things I would have normally done during daytime. Or, even better; Things that I would have wanted to do during the daytime but can’t, due to the fact that I’m at work then. (Like writing this blog for example)

What would you do if you had 1.5 of extra time each morning? Shower longer or get started on work early? Go outside and run for 30 minutes or catch up on a tv-show you’ve missed? Whatever you do, it’s just great to be able to do so, right?

Will Smith on Work-Ethic: “While the other guy’s sleeping,… I’m working”

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Wim April 6, 2010 at 09:43

Great picture!
Well, I feel inspired to try it, and get more done before noon.

Mark April 6, 2010 at 09:45

lol, thanks :)
Good way of phrasing it btw, “getting more done before noon”.

Valerie April 14, 2010 at 08:53

Indeed, if you get up earlier, you get more things done. I saw it in Italy, we used to get up at 6AM or half past 6AM. Normally I get up at half past 8AM. So when I went to bed at the end of the days, I had the feeling to have lived 2 days instead of one. (Maybe it was also because I went to bed really late and because I did so many things every day) My conclusion: with getting up earlier you gain extra time

Jessica Bosari July 24, 2010 at 02:38

Welcome to the world of the annoyingly energetic and cheerful! We’re the ones they mean when they named the show “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” Getting up early infuses you with so much energy, you get so much more done. Then you crash about 10am. I use that time for a one hour nap, wake up and have a second supercharged “morning.” I get a ton done that way.

Mark July 26, 2010 at 10:20

Thanks for the reply Jessica!
It’s actually funny that you call it “annoyingly energetic”, since that’s the respons I got quite a few times, haha :)

Although there’s a bit of a challenge in matching early rising with your partner’s schedule, if she isn’t into that as much. Having breakfast together would be nice to start off the day, and waking up at ifferent times makes that challenging.

Paula Drake December 24, 2010 at 06:52

lol, thanks :) Good way of phrasing it btw, “getting more done before noon”. Might actually turn into a great new post once I get some more experience with this.